When I’m a bit behind I find it’s always appropriate to start off with some cheesy song lyrics. Today we will start with Judy Collins (I'm not sure who wrote it, but the version in my head right now is Judy Collins):
"Across the evening sky, all the birds are leaving
But how can they know it's time for them to go?
Before the winter fire, I will still be dreaming
I have no thought of time
For who knows where the time goes?
Who knows where the time goes?"
Actually almost anything in life is better if you add some cheesy song lyrics, if all else fails I generally go with “but I could have told you Vincent, this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you”. Heartwarming…truly…although “Weekend in New England”, “Sweet Caroline”, and “Seasons in the Sun” are pretty darn effective as cheesy lyric distractors as well. As cheesy songs are a very important part of my life, I have spend considerable time recently teaching Jake lyrics to show tunes. It’s important that a 4 year old know all the lyrics to “Don’t Cry for Me Argentina”, and "Seasons of Love".
Maybe sometime I will have time to teach him less important things, like um, how to read…
We had a very busy week last week and unfortunately I didn’t get time to sit down and write about it, in the midst of everything. We started the week on Saturday November 3 with Jakey getting a haircut at Aunt Richelle and Uncle Jeff’s. Jake doesn’t flinch when you take him in for a shot, but for some reason he falls apart at a haircut, and has for a couple years. We have tried for a Prince Valiant longish style, but he’s getting a bit old for that, and Aunt Richelle nicely volunteered to try to talk him into a haircut while he was watching her do Tyler, Tanner and Chase's hair. It worked, and Jake looks fabulous, he is super excited that if mommy puts some gel in it he can have “spikies” like the big boys.
We then went to mom and dads to spend the night while they took Nikki and her family fishing for her birthday. Ended up getting a call from Rick, that Aunt Carlene wasn’t doing well and needed to go to the hospital, and I met him at the ER late Saturday night. She was getting water built up internally in her abdomen and behind he lungs, and it ended up being very serious. For awhile Sunday her organs were shutting down, and we thought that she wasn’t going to survive that, but she was given a blessing, and was able to recuperate, and return home. We were very glad that everything turned out o.k., and Aunt Carlene is doing better.
After that excitement on the weekend, we had a full week of pre-school, swimming lessons, and play dates for Jake. Both Rob and I had doctor’s appointments during the week, Rob to follow up on the surgery, and a general check-up to get his prescriptions refilled. Me to check my blood pressure, which is starting to creep up as I reach middle age, and to discuss a problem with persistent insomnia. Getting older is every so much fun!!!
Saturday we had one of our home teachers and his wife over for dinner. So I did some cooking Friday night to get started, and then finished up Saturday. I think it turned out nice, I decorated the table and the buffet (the kitchen countertop) in a fall theme. Then I served edamame, lemon herb roasted chicken, herb roasted potatoes, homemade butter flake rolls, winter squash, corn, and cranberry cake with vanilla sauce for dessert. They brought a green salad. It was very yummy even if I did almost burn the rolls!
Sunday Rob had to speak at Apple Tree which is the local assisted living center, and the wards in the area take turns presenting their sacrament meeting. I stayed home and made some pumpkin muffins for my Sunday School class, then we went to church, and back home to go to Scott and Circe’s to celebrate November birthdays. Lots of nice warm soups, bread, salads, and chocolate/banana layer dessert made for a great Sunday dinner. Jake was a bit alarmed that there was pudding on the cake instead of cake and ice cream for a birthday party. Happy Birthday Grandpa, Nikki, and Ari!!!
We have another exciting busy week coming up again, and I can’t believe that next week is Thanksgiving which will put us full throttle into the holiday rush.
So I guess we end as we began with "Who knows where the time goes?”.
Or even better (more cheesy song lyrics, and don't worry I know thousands floating in my head, I could blog them forever):
"And the seasons they go 'round and 'round
And the painted ponies go up and down
We're captive on the carousel of time
We can't return, we can only look behind
From where we came
And go round and 'round and 'round
In the circle game
And go 'round and 'round and 'round in the circle game."
(Circle Game- Joni Mitchell)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment