So I’m pretty sure we have now officially entered into the “boy” phase of child rearing, as far as I know from growing up with brothers this is the phase for many boys (and I’m sure some girls) where “this is fun” over rides any semblance of sense, or ability to think logically. I’ve been seeing a bit of a glint in my son’s eyes for a few weeks now, but the last week or so, the reason that Dennis the Menace was such and amusing and almost universally understood comic is becoming clear.
Today apparently Jake and his friend Tanner decided to see if they could systematically take down the fence in the front yard. As it’s wood and now over 10 years old so it’s been standing on a wing and a prayer anyway (actually it blew down last year after a strong spring wind storm), so taking down portions of the fence was not much of a challenge for even a 5 and a 2 year old, and it’s amazing how much damage can be done in 5 minutes. Circe commented recently in her blog that a lot of parents helicopter or hover today in ways parents didn’t in the past. Part of me thinks it is our of concern, and fears, but the other part is that I think we just remember how much trouble we got into (and we probably had more time on our hands, than our parents), and we are more afraid that our kids are going to do something that will make us want to sell them to the circus, than we are afraid they will get hurt.
So Jake is now sitting in the house, “thinking” about what he has done with no friends for the rest of the day, and a few of his toys are now forever missing (we try to do logical consequences, and if you can’t take care of and respect things at our home, you aren’t old enough to have things of your own). I certainly feel sorry for poor Rob as statistically being home all the time, most of this stuff happens on his watch. I also admit that I think it’s really sweet that Rob seems so very shocked to his core that our sweet little guy would think to do something like this; I guess my hubby never was much of a menace growing up.
I on the other hand, definitely think this kind of that requires swift discipline, but must admit I’m not much shocked when it happens. I think growing up with 4 brothers completely removed by ability to be shocked at the kind of mischief little boys can get into. I remember the time Ryan and his friend Reme (a very odd little boy with really crazy hair) rode over to the new section of our subdivision on their bikes, and proceded to tear down ALL the insulation recently put up in a new houses being built. Or the time Scott, and friends put tennis balls in gasoline and played “fire ball”. Apparently learning to make “gun powder” and seeing what could be blow up was a popular activity at some point, and I don’t even remember which of my brothers went out for a pass playing football in the house and managed to go through the plate glass window at that top of the stairs. I still remember being heart broken when my little brothers got into my Barbie’s and decided to use a ball point pen to “improve” their faces and also cut off all their hair. My own mischievousness usually involved waiting until mom left for an hour or so, and then trying to cook strange and interesting things on the stove.
It’s always amazing when you look back on some of the things you did as a kid how many of us manage to make it fairly unscathed into adulthood. I know in the big scheme of things a broken fence is pretty minor as far as ways kids can get themselves into trouble, and letting kids make mistakes is part of being a parent (no matter how much you think YOUR kid is pretty close to perfect). I think it really is the fear of what kids can do to themselves, more than the fear of what strangers may do to them that keeps us hovering as parents.
I’m just wondering right now whether there is such a thing as “crate training” for children?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Crate Training. I love it! Sorry to hear about your fence. Make sure you get pics of the destruction. You'll need them for proof in the scrapbook for when Jake is older and he swears he never did anything like that. :)
Ha ha! I happened to call right after the fence incident and I was afraid Jake wasn't going to survive Rob's wrath. :) No, actually, he was pretty calm. Boys are just naturally crazy, I think. A two-year-old at my house the other day picked up a watering can and asked me what it was. I told him it was for watering the flowers and he said, "No, it's a shooting thing!" He then proceeded to use it as a gun to shoot the flowers. It's not just boys who do dumb things, though. Brains must not mature until pretty late. Remember when I poked a hundred holes in Gary's waterbed right before he left on his mission? It was just an absentminded thing I was doing with a pin. Duh! So, is Jake out of the doghouse yet?
Post a Comment