Wednesday, May 28, 2008

You Know What Fun Is?

Lagoon of course!!!

I'm not even going to try to catch up on all of last week, here's the highlights:

Josh and Aaron both in town. Aaron had some great stories about China, and his little brother was pretty darn impressed with the his skills, esp. the juggling. Josh is also doing great, and Jake is now trying to decide if juggling or dancing is cooler thanks to his big brothers.

Saturday, Charlie, Rob's dad stopped by for a few hours, and we all went out to dinner at the Chuck-a-Rama which has now become a tradition. It was good to see him.

Monday was of course the Hill/Dopp family Lagoon Day, which we have been doing since the begining of time, it's true, my family history starts with cave people, emerging each spring from their caves to eat lots of salads, chocolate chews and ride on roller coasters. I'm not sure what happens if you actually don't go to Lagoon on Lagoon day but I've heard it's really bad. Despite the rain, I was there at 10:00, with a smile, sitting in the car, in the rain waiting to buy passes with Scott and Circe. We were of coure the only people there. As a parent, there are certain hard things in life that one's offspring MUST know, and one is that rain or shine, sleet or hail, floods, or illness, you GO to Lagoon on Memorial Day. This lesson has to be taught young of course, so Josh wasn't so hip on standing in hip high water, yelling "ahoy matie is that thar a season pass I see" and decided to spend his last few hours in Utah at a nice lunch with his dad, who almost gets the Lagoon magic, but looked a bit too happy to me when he reported "Josh. doesn't want to go to Lagoon in the rain."

We had a great day desite the rain, and Jake has been talking for 2 days about Grandma Gus, who he didn't remember being Colin's grandma as the "candy lady" who was there with an entire suitcase handing out treats to all the kids. It's been fun to see our family tradition shared and grow amongst all the families!!!

Personally my week wasn't so great to be honest, I tried to plaster on a smile while I endured a root canal, a broken pinkie toe, the stomach flu, and a raging case of PMS all in 5 days. It did extend my Memorial Weekend a bit, which was nice I suppose. I'm still not feeling at the top of my game I think on top of the stomach flu I may have a bit of a UTI (I of course haven't gone to the doctor because you know you are just suppose to take whatever leftover antibiotics you have around the house right?). While I've taken off 2 days and done next to nothing (well unless you count inspecting the bathroom frequently, and reading all of The Glass Castle in a day something) Jake has watched "Cats" 3 times, gone to the park twice, and I think had an interview for a summer job at Circe's. I'm pretty sure letting your 5 year old watch "Cats" isn't child abuse, but it's a pretty fine line, so let's not say anything to CPS the next time you see Jake walking around singing "and they all say, oh well there never was there ever a cat so clever as Magical Mr. Mistopheles" (I'm sure I'm not spelling that right).

They've done test on letting kids watch shows too much T.V., anyone know test results for early Andrew Lloyd Webber exposure?

Rob has spent the last couple of days working around the house, doing more painting, fixing the faucet in the bathroom (where we are currently growing a snake that true to the package is 600 times the size is started to be), making sure I'm still alive, and wandering in every few minutes to ask "now what is this Cats thing about" while I patiently explain that well Cats isn't about ANYTHING really it has NO PLOT which is exactly what makes it the longest running Broadway show.

He's a bit slow, but I swear someday he will understand musical theater, as well as Lagoon day, it's a good thing I got Jake started early, he totally gets why Cats is brilliant, and why you still go to Lagoon in the rain. I didn't have to explain a thing.

6 comments:

Jennie said...

So funny Michelle. What a great post!

Taylor Family said...

You would think the early exposure you gave me of Andrew Lloyd Weber would give me a clue to what Cats is about but I am with Rob on that one.

Circe said...

HA HA HA! That's me laughing out loud. You are so funny! First of all, Cats is about cats. That's all. I know you and Jake get that. And I know from experience that early exposure to Andrew Lloyd Webber gives you the gift of discernment. Between good musical theatre (Cats) and bad musical theatre. (Sunset Blvd) I wrote down every lyric to every sond in Cats by listening to it over and over to figure out what they were saying. Then I discovered T. S. Elliot. Could have saved me a lot of time.
Jake is definitely hired to be my babysitter. Being able to pee anywhere was the clincher.
I loved your book review. I knew you wouldn't be able to put that down, so I was actually morally obligated to have Jake over after I gave you the book. Do you want me to copy your comment as a review on Book Blogging Babes? It was great.

Michelle said...

Circe, you can copy my post, I had no idea where I was suppose to put that.

Circe said...

I posted your review on Book Blogging Babes. I'm not sure how to get you on as a member so you can publish your own reviews. Do you know how? The Motherboard is in charge of it.

Elisa said...

Circe says I'm in charge, but really, I just work here and do what I'm told.

If you will send me your email at crazylandblog at gmail dot com I would happily include you into the book blogging babe club.

Your post was very witty and fun to read!