Last week seemed to wiz right by, which seems to be the story of my life, I can’t believe how quickly time goes flying by. It probably goes so fast because I just want time to stand still for a little while, and just be able to savor and enjoy this time, and it’s just they way things work, when you want time to go slowly it goes too fast, and when you want it to go fast, it goes to slow. Five year olds can be finicky little people as they try to spread their little wings, and develop individualism, and they seem to want to do that at the most inconvenient times, but they are also some of the most delightful little beings on the planet. I truly believe there is nothing more entertaining in the world that seeing it again through the eyes of a 5 year old. The tag team qualities of seeing this amazing person that is developing, and having this person still think that you are about as cool as it’s possible to be, can be quite heady. I want to bottle up the passion for life, the dramatic interludes, and all the effusive love and keep it forever. I think the thing I tend to stress the most about (esp. having to be away from home everyday) is missing a minute of this time and waking up to find a teenager in my house (which isn’t so bad, teens are pretty cool, but they just don’t happen to think Mom is as cool as 5 year olds do).
I had a wonderful Mother’s Day this past Sunday, I’m so thankful for the gift of being a mom, and for my wonderful mom and MIL; as well as the many great moms I know, and have in my life. I tend to be a pretty laid back mom (probably a bit too laid back sometimes), but I think that it’s because I’ve had so many great examples of motherhood in my life, and they have really taught me to take the joy where I can, and to not sweat the small stuff. I think that is a great lesson, because day to day being a mom there is a lot of small stuff.
Sunday was Lilah’s blessing, and it was very nice, she is such a little doll, and a beautiful baby, I feel so blessed to have all these little nieces and nephews in my life, and to be able to watch them all grow up into wonderful people. The older girls, Golda, Ruby, and Alexis, are blossoming before my eyes into lovely young women, and they are all talented and beautiful inside and out. In Relief Society on Sunday, they mentioned that we should really change Mother’s Day into “Woman’s Day” and I think I agree with that, as it is a nice idea to set aside a day to just be aware and grateful for the many strong and valiant women in our lives that really teach us about what it means to be a woman. The qualities that make great women are also the qualities that make great moms, and not every wonderful and great woman gets the chance to be a mom. It’s something I know first hand can be one of the most heartbreaking desires of the heart to have go unfulfilled, and I also know first hand how hard Mothers’s Day can be when your arms are empty.
So I’m another vote for having a celebration of Women everywhere, for being moms, mentors, diplomats, champions, writers, caregivers, teachers, and the thousands of other vital roles that women play in our lives and in our world everyday.
So happy belated Women’s Day to all the wonderful women that touch my life and soul every single day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
As usual, all I can say is AMEN!
I wish you could just record every minute of our kids lives and play it back later. I keep my video camera in my kitchen and record the every day stuff like breakfast time or dancing in the kitchen. I think those are the moments we will want to replay in our minds the most. All of the every day things in life that pass by so quickly and seem so trivial in the moment seem to carry the greatest memories!
Post a Comment