Wednesday, October 13, 2010

What Do You See?

So I am not a visual person, I've always know this about myself, that weird party question (you know when someone throws out something random just to get people talking) "would you rather be blind or deaf", I'm always one of the exceptions (the majority of people seem to say deaf) that would rather be blind. I can't imagine navigating through the world without my ability to hear, because that is how I orient myself, through sound. It doesn't give me any real skills except I'm really annoying in an arguement because I have really good recollection of what people say (and tend to spend way too much time analyzing what they meant, but rest assured, I have learned to keep that to myself), and I'm an excellent eavesdropper, at work I'm always the one sent in to get the gossip when something is going on because I'm good at tuning in without looking like I'm tuning in.

The downside to this is that I never remember to keep a visual record of things that are going on, my way of keeping memories is remembering via conversations, or songs, etc. So I don't take many pictures, and I have a hard time absorbing things with pictures. To really "get" it, I need to hear about it, or to read about it (while the action of reading is done with your eyes, it's not a visual medium, it's more about taking the information in and then absorbing it internally, and it's more about words than pictures). I'm the kind of person that loves sideshows of people's trips where they explain everything that is going on. I love oral histories, and it really bugs me when people turn the T.V. to another channel because I'm not in the same room, I'm listening to the show, I don't need to see it.

I haven't established yet how Jake is oriented, and I fear that I'm depriving him of something important by not taking pictures. We didn't really take a lot of pictures growing up, and I don't miss them, but what if Jake does? What if Jake looks around and sees the visual stuff that everyone else has, and wonders why we don't have that? I keep trying to remember to think more about it, in fact I keep my camera right by the door, so I can see it when walking out, and maybe remember to take it with me. I never do, and even if I do take it, I never remember to actually take the pictures.

So if you are a visual person, this is the most boring blog ever because you can't see what we are doing, I applogize for that, but I'm probably not going to change it.

1 comment:

Circe said...

OR - maybe you're just too lazy to take your camera with you! Hee hee. I like getting a peek into your brain. Where's your post for this week? I missed it! I'm going to come over and take some pictures of that cute little redhead so the world won't be deprived of his image! :)