So last night I got a text from Scott about the death of Osama bin Laden, after breathing again because the spell check changed Osama to Obama, and all I saw was "Obama is dead" and thought someone had killed the President, I turned on the news, and sat and watched it for a minute. I don't like to say I'm glad someone has been killed but franky I am glad he's dead, mostly because it had to be done before we could even think about withdrawing tropps from Afganistan, but I found myself once again thinking about this war, and those brave people fighting it everyday that it doesn't cross my mind, or isn't a news update.
Today once again I was very touched by a song on Josh Groban's newest CD (he's one of the few contemporary musisians that has address this was directly, both in the song I mentioned at Christmas, but on his new album) called "The War At Home". The thing about war that we know is our brave troops don't stop fighting when they come home, the level of Post traumatic stress disorder with this war is huge, and overwhelming.
The song touches on the idea of fighting the war at home, the first part about a soldier waking up in a hospital bed wounded for life, tired of being told he's "the lucky one", as he will fight this war at home for the rest of his life. There is the next women a "caped crusader, she's a newborn leader" talking to her young daughter on the phone, as she fights the war at home not being able to take care of her young child. And then tells the story of an young Iraqi child, whose whole life has been about war, trying to understand the "war at home".
Wars aren't ended with the death of one person, as bad as the person is, or as much as they personify terrorism, I only watched a few minutes of coverage last night because I figured that really as always my time was better spent in prayer for our brave troops rather than rejoicing in the death of one evil man. I hope that we can start bringing out troops home, but Osama bin Laden deserves nothing, not even a celebration of his death. Good riddance to one evil man, but no matter what evil may exist there are still more good people fighting against evil than people embracing it. With all our imperfections I'm proud to be an American, for a stand against terrorism, for not letting terrorist win, and doing what needed to be done.
"You see these hands they're millions strong, they are yours now, hold on now, we're still going strong hold on now we're still fighting the war at home."
Bin Laden like the evil men through history has met his end, but really the end that matters most and always has is ending this war and getting our brave troops home, to fight the brave fight of healing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment