Thursday, October 2, 2008

Disneyland for Christmas?

So, to help stimulate the economy/travel industry Marriott is offering some really good associate rates to travel over the holidays (traditionally low season for most hotels, with some exceptions like really tropical locations and ski destinations).

I just figured it out, and I could do a Disneyland Trip for Christmas/Jake's birthday for Jake and I, for 6 nights/7 days (December 18-24 in home in time for Christmas Eve with family and Christmas day) for about $700. That includes hotel (2 nights in Vegas/4 nights in Anaheim), 3 day Park Hoppers, gas, and food.

I can't decide if I should do it or not.

Pros:

1- Jake would think I'm the coolest mom ever if we just get up one morning, start driving and end up in Disneyland. It will also make for a pretty awesome Christmas memory.
2- I will never be able to do a trip this cheap again, so I'm not sure when we would be able to go again.
3- Honestly it would keep us both busy, and completely occupied for our first Christmas without Rob (I'm thinking the holidays are going to be really hard, even though I know all the family will be there).
4- I've heard Disneyland is really awesome for Christmas.

Cons:

1- I've never driven all by myself to California, let alone with a 5/6 year old.
2- It's winter, so roads could be a dicey. I just wouldn't tell Jake we we're going until last minute in case we have to cancel, but we have to come back, so that could be really dicey that time of year. Again see #1.
3- That is a good portion of my Christmas budget, so almost everything else would be out, Santa would of course come, but not as generously as normal, and I would buy for my list, but no baking, birthday party, birthday presents, etc.

So what do you all think?

Am I being impulsive, and this is a really bad idea, or "sounds like fun, go for it"?

3 comments:

Jennie said...

What a fun idea. Deals are always so tempting. Oh how I love to save a buck and in this economy that is important. I would just weigh your options carefully. Maybe book the room knowing you can always cancel in case things get even more grim. Plus... you can't do Disney with out us. I have to be there to help eat the Winnie the Pooh fudge. Either that or you have to bring me some. :)

Taylor Family said...

I would totally do it. Jake would have a blast. When Clint's parents got divorced the first Christmas was really hard so his Mom started a bunch of new and fun traditions. Clint still talks about it. If you go befor or after Christmas maybe we will join you.

Circe said...

You know what I'm going to say. DO IT!!!!!!!!! There is no reason on earth why you can't drive by yourself to California with a 5-year-old. You can SO do it. I wouldn't worry about the roads unless you're planning on taking I-80 through Wyoming. That's the only highway that ever gets really bad in the winter, and it's the opposite direction. You're going south! The roads will be fine. Scott and I will contribute $ to your trip instead of a gift, since we have you for Christmas. My parents are going to Paris for Christmas, and we're abolishing some of the things we've "always" done because of their trip. I'm excited to shake things up. It's time for new traditions! Oh, Michelle, you have to do it. This kid is growing up fast. Now is prime Disneyland time. It's perfect. My theory is that you'll never regret going on a trip, but you will regret not doing it. Money is replaceable. Childhood is not.