Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow...

Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time.
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death.

Figured instead of song lyrics, I would go with a bit of Shakespeare today. That bit from "Macbeth" is the only things I can still quote right off the top of my head, I memorized pieces from other plays, but other than Sigh No More Ladies from Much Ado About Nothing that is the only thing I still remember. I wonder what that says about me?

Another busy week has gone by, I might need to consider updating this blog more than once a week, it seems like so much to catch up on. I guess it’s one of those catch-22 kind of things, it’s so busy that it’s hard to write about an entire week, but as I have to calendar writing at all, I’m not sure I have time to do it more than once a week (I actually occasionally enjoy eating on my lunch hour).

We were back into the “old” grind last week after a bit of a break with me going to Bethesda, and then taking a couple days off. Last week was school, and work for Jakey and I, I should say for Jellicle Jakey and I, as Jake has only increased his obsession with CATS. “Jellicles can and jellicles do, jellicles can and jellicles do, jellicles can and jellicles do” is frankly annoying enough in the play, ever listened to it over and over for 3 hours straight? Totally NOT awesome (big shout out to Circe who has also been plagued by Jellicle Jakey). I had to finally take Jake to his room the other day and shut the door, and tell him he could practice being a jellicle cat in there, and then show me later. Otherwise after 3 hours of jellicle cats non-stop, we were going to have one of those “future stories for therapy” moments, that sounds like (from the kids POV) “I was 5, and I was just singing and happy, and my mom totally lost if for no apparent reason”. You can also find most of the CATS moments on Youtube, yesterday (Jake was home sick, we will get to that later) we listened to Rum Tum Tugger (Tiger I’m not sure which) 10 times before I lost count. A Munkustrap, costume is right at the top of his list of things to ask Santa for (Santa is going to write back “can’t you just ask for a Transformer like a normal kid”). I’m sure this will be a fond “memory” some day (I keep trying to capture his performances on tape, but he won’t perform if he knows I’m taping him), and as Rum Tum says “there no doing anything aboutawowawowawowawow it”.

We had a good weekend for the most part, Nikki called Friday night, and said they were going to Chuck-E-Cheese for Cade’s birthday, if we weren’t doing anything to come over. So we went over with them, even though we had already had dinner (which was probably a good thing), Jake loved it, and we only went through about 100 tokens, all to get a $5.00 prize. Really it was a lot of fun, but I think it would probably be a good thing to keep Jake away from Vegas, he liked putting tokens in the machine and getting out tickets a bit too much. Saturday morning we got up did a bit of cleaning, and then went to see High School Musical 3, we did the early matinee because we can both get tickets for $4.00 if you go before noon. Jake loved it of course and we had a brief break from CATS, while he sang the songs from High School Musical, it is still amazing to me how quickly Jake will pick up the music and lyrics to a song he’s only heard once. After the movie we went to lunch, did some grocery shopping, and then went to pick out Jake’s Halloween costume. I thought a vampire costume would be easy to find, but it was surprisingly hard, either everyone wanted to be vampires this year so they were sold out, or there just weren’t any vampire costumes. We finally went to Target, where we still didn’t find a vampire, but we did find a werewolf, which made us both happy. Jake because it’s a really cool costume, that even came with gloves (the gloves double pretty well for cat hands when performing all our favorite numbers from CATS), and mom because I can be amused because of Twilight. Jacob is my favorite character in the books, so my Jacob as “Jacob the Werewolf” (yeah I know they are technically shape shifters) is the perfect costume, even if it is a traditionally type werewolf.

After getting home late Saturday afternoon, and admiring himself in his costume in front of the mirror for about 45 minutes, Jake said he had a headache, and laid down, and fell asleep. When he woke up he had a low grade fever, I dosed him up with some Tylenol, and he went to bed early. Sunday he started complaining of a sore throat, and had a fever on and off, so I kept him home on Monday, the last thing we need is for any of the kids to be sick for Halloween. He didn’t have a fever Monday, and was feeling much better, so he probably would have been o.k. for school but I guess better safe than sorry. We spent the day naming the cats in the neighborhood with their jellicle names, I’m sure T.S. Eliot is looking down, and is quite happy by how Jake is taking to his poems, even if Jake doesn’t know what a poem is. He asked me yesterday, and it’s kind of hard to define poem for a 5 year old, esp. when he’s asking based on the poems of T.S. Eliot, I guess I need to go find my poetry book, I have a good anthology somewhere, but the only thing, I had yesterday was Langston Hughes, who is pretty accessible, but a bit much for a 5 year old. We went with Dr. Seuss and the explanation that poems don’t always have to rhyme. I finished up Frankenstein as well yesterday which was our book blogging babes book for this month, so just under the gun for finishing on time. Frankenstein is always such a great read, so different than any movie (although I’m tempted to see the Kenneth Branagh version which his suppose to stay fairly close to the book before I do my post for the book, it’s available I think in the free movies with Comcast), and so much more psychologically chilling as I get older than when I first read it (I read it the first time in 9th grade, along with Jane Eyre, and Wuthering Heights, which also had that gothic/romantic thing going).

I guess that is all from Michelle and Jake for this week, should be another busy week, with Halloween.

1 comment:

Circe said...

I am totally cracking up over your description of Jellicle Jake. There have been a few times in the car when I wanted to scream, "OK!! Jellicles can!! And Jellicles do!!! I believe you!!!

And by the way, that little bit of Shakespeare gives me chills. It's so "dead-on" and so depressing. Good anecdote for the insane cheerfullness of Cats!