Is all I have time for this week, so here it is:
Yes, we are going to Disneyland. I’m not even doing the “unless something happens” thing because I don’t want to jinx it, we’re going, it will be awesome, and just what is needed for us. Last night in a class I took they were talking about divorce and kids, and saying you can expect any of the 5 stages of grief to come up over and over esp. around every “first” after the divorce (for you and the kids), first Christmas, first Birthday, etc., so it’s really good to concentrate the first year on worthwhile distractions.
As just mentioned, I took the state required “divorce class” yesterday (as far as I know Utah is the only state that requires such a class, at least that seemed to be the opinion of all the people in the room originally from out of Utah), that was lot’s of fun (not), I suppose it is well intentioned (as are a lot of things that just don’t really work out practically all the time), but really the LAST thing you need at one of the most traumatic times in your life, is to sit in a room with at least 50 equally traumatized people, in various stages of shock, to discuss divorce with a person that has NEVER BEEN DIVORCED. Which he mentioned about 8 times during the night, including when someone asked him a fairly basic question about filing and he said: “I have no idea how that works, I’ve never been divorced, and I don’t really understand it on the video”. Nice dude, I have to pay $55 for this class, you need to go buy a clue. It's not like they have AA classes with people that have never had a drink, I'm thinking there is a reason for that. A couple other things worth mentioning
1- You know you are really old when the people getting divorced make you feel like Methuselah, I expect to feel old at weddings, didn’t expect to feel quite so old at the divorce class. Half the people didn't look old enough to be married, let alone getting a divorce, it was really sad (back to the "is this REALLY what I need right now").
2- I’m fairly certain it’s bad form to bring your GIRLFRIEND (yeah the one causing the divorce) to divorce class with you. Just saying.
This has been a busy week, had the class yesterday, the bishop and stake president are coming to my house tonight (as if an interview with either isn’t nerve wracking enough, you know your life is in turmoil when they both show up AT YOUR HOUSE, instead of calling you to their offices), October birthdays on Friday (and October is a popular month for birth in our family), Jackson’s baptism Saturday, and Saturday night is a stake musical production activity that we are going to with our home teacher/visiting teacher (the husband is my home teacher, the wife my visiting teacher, quite efficient). Next week is even worse, I’m in Bethesda Monday through Wednesday on business, and then kids are all out of school Thursday and Friday, so I’m taking those days off. Did I mention how I'm not a big fan of business trips? What only about a million times if you have been within 50 feet of me the past few weeks. Actually I've been in denial until yesterday (which is one of the stages of grief, which I knew, but we discusssed it in detail last night at divorce class), hoping I wouldn't have to go. No such luck, I'm sure it will be fine, really, how bad can it be? Other than I already miss Jake so bad it makes my heart feel like it's going to pound out of my chest.
Hey, did I mention we're going to Disneyland? That will be awesome, ah, yes, safely back in denial...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hey, if you're going to be in denial, do it in Disneyland. Or Bethesda. hee hee... The Eastern Seaboard is better than Minnesota or Alaska this time of year, though. But if you were going to Alaska, you'd be really close to Russia. That would be cool. You and Putin could have drinks. (Can you tell I'm anti-Palin? Yeah, she's not that cool. Good topic for a healthy Dopp debate?) Anyway, at least you'll have next thurs and fri to make up for lost Jake time with the business trip. I hate leaving my kids, too. It stretches the heart strings too tight.
Yes, Disneyland is a must!! I am so excited for you! And the girlfriend thing in the divorces class????? for me too!
Post a Comment