Monday, November 3, 2008

Spooky!!!




Yep, the spookiest night of the year was once again a huge success!!!

Jake spent most of the week putting on his costume every night to make sure that he still looked as cool as he thought he looked. He told me multiple times that the week was going to slowly, and it wasn’t going to be Halloween nearly fast enough, although we did record some “Goosebumps” episodes to watch every night to keep us in the spirit. We also recorded Poltergeist, but Jake didn’t like it much, and I thought it was scarier for kids than I remembered, but considering I was a kid when I saw it, and I thought I wasn’t too scary (thus the scarier than I remember) and Jake thought it was “doring” (Jake’s word for boring), I guess my kid scare-o-meter is way off.

Thursday, we went home and made about 150 sugar cookies (our tradition, although I almost didn’t do it this year, I’m glad I did). Most of them went to Scott and Circe’s for the Halloween party, but we kept a couple dozen at home so we had some to frost too.

Jake woke up early Friday, ready to put on his costume and get this thing started, he was not a bit happy when I told him that he wouldn’t be wearing his costume all day, and that the Halloween party didn’t even start until 4:00. I got at Scott & Circe’s a few minutes before 4:00 so Jakey would be in his costume ready to go, he was very into his werewolf costume, in fact I think he really thought he was an actual werewolf each time he put it on. The Halloween party was a ton of fun as always, Jake easily got enough candy at the party to make trick-or-treating a bit beside the point, but you can never have too much Halloween candy.

After the party we headed to mom & dad’s for trick-or-treating, it was a beautiful night, incredibly warm for Utah at the end of October, I didn’t even have to put a coat under Jake’s costume, he was plenty warm and sweaty in the costume alone. We went trick-or-treating for about an hour, and all the younger kids were done pretty quickly. In Syracuse the police come around to monitor Halloween activities and they pull at the side of the streets and give candy to the kids. Jake was doing his werewolf howl for the policeman, and he told him he was so scary he was going to have to taser him. So not only did I have to explain what a taser was, but apparently along with “going to juvie”, getting tasered is not part of our police stories.

After trick-or-treating we went back to mom and dad’s for hot soup bowls, hot cider, and Halloween treats (hot cider is much better on a traditional cold Halloween night, I think we ended up drinking mostly cold Coke Zero). Jakey and I spent the night at mom & dad’s because Jake thought a Halloween sleepover sounded pretty cool. The kids played until pretty late, and then Jake sat up and watched Martha Stewart Halloween, with mom and dad and I. He was actually pretty into it, he’s brought up different things Martha Stewart made quite a few time this weekend.

Saturday, we got up, and Jeff and Richelle and the kids came to mom and dad’s, so Tanner could build a house for his reflections entry at school. Mom, Richelle, and I went and checked out the Halloween deals at Walmart, Jake wants to have a Monster themed birthday party (yeah the “no birthday party if we go to Disneyland thing lasted a week” I like doing the parties as much as Jake likes having them), so I figured I could get some cool things at the after Halloween sales. I actually did pretty well, got a bunch of fun party things, lots of favors, and even some monster themed games. It should be quite the Monster Bash. J

Tonight is Ari’s birthday party, and then pre-election dinner for the adults afterwards, so the fun never stops.

No comments: