I'm totally not in the mood to blog today, but it's Monday, and it's on my calendar, so I guess I need to write an entry.
We're doing great, nothing too exciting going on, we had a bake sale at work last week, so I ended up making about 50 carmel/chocolate dipped pretzels. They turned out really good and they weren't hard to make at all (although I would suggest not using wax paper to sit them on after the caramel dipping), I dipped them in carmel, then chocolate, then rolled them in crushed M&M's, crushed butterfingers, or almonds (that way I didn't have to tempure the chocolate). They were a huge hit at the bake sale, I also tried dipping in peanut butter, which tastes really good, but I can't quite find the perfect recipe (the peanut butter is oily and the chocolate falls off after the first bite). Otherwise it was a pretty uneventful week, Jakey is really picking up on the reading thing the last few weeks so we spend a lot of time sounding out words (he can read Jedi, Luke Skywalker, Chewbacca, Darth Mal, Darth Vader, and Darth Sidious very well), and playing the "spelling game", you know the one where kindergartners randomly yell out letters, and then ask you what that spells (and seem very offended if the answer is "nothing"). Three hours of making pretzels and "mom what does GLCBTF spell" makes for an awesome evening!
Friday I got off a little early but not much, I'm not able to get off early every Friday anymore, which put a bit of a stop to cousin Fridays, but I did volunteer to work in Jakey's class one Friday a month, so hopefully that will still work out. Jake actually came home on Friday and had a nap, in fact he had a nap, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, so either he's going through a growth spurt (he always sleeps a lot during growth spurts) or his body is just confused because of the time change, and it took almost a week to catch up with him (I'm guessing that, as he's already grown almost an inch since school started, and he's wanted to go to bed at 7:30 all week, and I've been trying to keep him up longer, because, well I'm not a big fan of getting up at 6:00 a.m.).
Saturday we got up and did our 2 hours of house cleaning, which is my new thing. I honestly could spend the entire time I'm home on house stuff, but with just me all the time, I don't want Jakey and I's entire time together to be house maintenance, so my new thing is 1 hour every night (usually dinner, clean-up, and a load of laundry) and then a couple hours Saturday and if needed Sunday mornings. What gets done gets done, and what doesn't, well it doesn't (which explains why my guest room has become "extension of my laundry room", I've discovered I'm good at washing clothes, and even folding them, but no so good at putting them away). Jakey did an awesome job cleaning his room, it looked really nice, he was very proud of himself. I usually help, but decided that I'm not going to micro-manage his room, and he did a great job by himself (which tends to be the result, I'm not sure why I even try to micro-manage, I don't do it at work, and Jake and I are both too stubborn for it to work at home, he does much better if I give him goals, and let him do it). After we finished our morning cleaning, we decided to go to see Madagascar, which was cute, we liked it, then we went to Chinese for "the best Mac&Cheese in the world" (yes my son likes to go to a Chinese buffet for their Mac&Cheese), and then went and ran errands/grocery shopping. On the way home from the store (about 2 miles) Jake fell asleep, and as I didn't have any ice cream or anything that was going to go bad, I decided to just keep driving and let him sleep. We took a nice scenic (well it would have been more scenic a couple weeks ago) up Ogden Canyon and back while Jake had a little nap, and I listened to my new Celtic Woman CD really loudly. Then we went home and put in some crock pot black bean chicken and made English Scones for Sunday dinner. I like to get Sunday dinner done Saturday night, although as I'm incapable of cooking for small numbers, I get a whole weeks worth of meals done Saturday night, I ate clam chowder most of last week, and this week black bean chicken will be on the menu most of the week (the other nights will be $1.88 Marie Calendar meals from Albertson's sale).
Black Bean Chicken is an awesome easy crock-pot recipe if anyone wants to try it, take 2-3 large (4-5 small) frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts (yep, don't even have to thaw them out), a can of drained corn, a can of drained black beans (I like mine "beany" so I use 2 cans), and a bottle of salsa (any kind, I just use the cheap stuff), and throw it in a crock pot on high for 3-5 hours until the chicken is done. Take the chicken out and shred it, then put it back in the crock-pot and put a cube of cream cheese (you can use a half cube if you are going light) on top, and put the lid on and cook on low for another 1/2 hour. You can serve it plain like a thick tortilla soup, or it is great on tortillas with some lettuce, I like mine with a handful of Fritos scoops, like a dip. Really good and super easy.
Sunday was a good "rest" day, we played a new game I picked up hoping it would work for Jake's birthday party (it's called Monster Maker, might work with some modifications), and I finally got my little Jellicle Cat to perform on camera his "medley of CATS" hits. I broke down this week bought him a long sleeve leotard, a pair of footless tights, and women's "furry" socks (with the toes cut out for the arm warmers, everything was $12 at Walmart) to complete his CATS get up. For the video he decided to sport a pair of light up devil's horns we got at Frightmares at Lagoon (I told him he could have horns or cotton candy, he choose horns, I do NOT know how this is my kid, well except for the fondness for musicals), because they look like "jellicle cat ears". The video of 5 year old Jake in his leotard, tights, furry socks (on arms and legs) with devil ears performing Jellicle Cats, Jennie Anydots, and Rum Tum Tugger (complete with hip thrusts, his own special version of the lyrics, and pretending he's also the girl cats screaming for him in the background) will be a popular addition to all his teen parties. I see there is an "add video" button here, maybe I will try to add this later tonight to my blog. Bribery has worked out really well for me as a parenting technique, but I'm not eliminating black mail for the future.
Busy week this week, SEP conference Tuesday, I'm doing my first Friday in Jake's class for "trades", and then this weekend is girls weekend (that will be fun, I'm trying not to feel guilty for leaving Jake). We're also counting down the days until our Disneyland Trip, Christmas, and of course Jake's birthday, can't believe how quickly things are going, it's Thanksgiving in 2 weeks!!!
We're doing great, nothing too exciting going on, we had a bake sale at work last week, so I ended up making about 50 carmel/chocolate dipped pretzels. They turned out really good and they weren't hard to make at all (although I would suggest not using wax paper to sit them on after the caramel dipping), I dipped them in carmel, then chocolate, then rolled them in crushed M&M's, crushed butterfingers, or almonds (that way I didn't have to tempure the chocolate). They were a huge hit at the bake sale, I also tried dipping in peanut butter, which tastes really good, but I can't quite find the perfect recipe (the peanut butter is oily and the chocolate falls off after the first bite). Otherwise it was a pretty uneventful week, Jakey is really picking up on the reading thing the last few weeks so we spend a lot of time sounding out words (he can read Jedi, Luke Skywalker, Chewbacca, Darth Mal, Darth Vader, and Darth Sidious very well), and playing the "spelling game", you know the one where kindergartners randomly yell out letters, and then ask you what that spells (and seem very offended if the answer is "nothing"). Three hours of making pretzels and "mom what does GLCBTF spell" makes for an awesome evening!
Friday I got off a little early but not much, I'm not able to get off early every Friday anymore, which put a bit of a stop to cousin Fridays, but I did volunteer to work in Jakey's class one Friday a month, so hopefully that will still work out. Jake actually came home on Friday and had a nap, in fact he had a nap, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, so either he's going through a growth spurt (he always sleeps a lot during growth spurts) or his body is just confused because of the time change, and it took almost a week to catch up with him (I'm guessing that, as he's already grown almost an inch since school started, and he's wanted to go to bed at 7:30 all week, and I've been trying to keep him up longer, because, well I'm not a big fan of getting up at 6:00 a.m.).
Saturday we got up and did our 2 hours of house cleaning, which is my new thing. I honestly could spend the entire time I'm home on house stuff, but with just me all the time, I don't want Jakey and I's entire time together to be house maintenance, so my new thing is 1 hour every night (usually dinner, clean-up, and a load of laundry) and then a couple hours Saturday and if needed Sunday mornings. What gets done gets done, and what doesn't, well it doesn't (which explains why my guest room has become "extension of my laundry room", I've discovered I'm good at washing clothes, and even folding them, but no so good at putting them away). Jakey did an awesome job cleaning his room, it looked really nice, he was very proud of himself. I usually help, but decided that I'm not going to micro-manage his room, and he did a great job by himself (which tends to be the result, I'm not sure why I even try to micro-manage, I don't do it at work, and Jake and I are both too stubborn for it to work at home, he does much better if I give him goals, and let him do it). After we finished our morning cleaning, we decided to go to see Madagascar, which was cute, we liked it, then we went to Chinese for "the best Mac&Cheese in the world" (yes my son likes to go to a Chinese buffet for their Mac&Cheese), and then went and ran errands/grocery shopping. On the way home from the store (about 2 miles) Jake fell asleep, and as I didn't have any ice cream or anything that was going to go bad, I decided to just keep driving and let him sleep. We took a nice scenic (well it would have been more scenic a couple weeks ago) up Ogden Canyon and back while Jake had a little nap, and I listened to my new Celtic Woman CD really loudly. Then we went home and put in some crock pot black bean chicken and made English Scones for Sunday dinner. I like to get Sunday dinner done Saturday night, although as I'm incapable of cooking for small numbers, I get a whole weeks worth of meals done Saturday night, I ate clam chowder most of last week, and this week black bean chicken will be on the menu most of the week (the other nights will be $1.88 Marie Calendar meals from Albertson's sale).
Black Bean Chicken is an awesome easy crock-pot recipe if anyone wants to try it, take 2-3 large (4-5 small) frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts (yep, don't even have to thaw them out), a can of drained corn, a can of drained black beans (I like mine "beany" so I use 2 cans), and a bottle of salsa (any kind, I just use the cheap stuff), and throw it in a crock pot on high for 3-5 hours until the chicken is done. Take the chicken out and shred it, then put it back in the crock-pot and put a cube of cream cheese (you can use a half cube if you are going light) on top, and put the lid on and cook on low for another 1/2 hour. You can serve it plain like a thick tortilla soup, or it is great on tortillas with some lettuce, I like mine with a handful of Fritos scoops, like a dip. Really good and super easy.
Sunday was a good "rest" day, we played a new game I picked up hoping it would work for Jake's birthday party (it's called Monster Maker, might work with some modifications), and I finally got my little Jellicle Cat to perform on camera his "medley of CATS" hits. I broke down this week bought him a long sleeve leotard, a pair of footless tights, and women's "furry" socks (with the toes cut out for the arm warmers, everything was $12 at Walmart) to complete his CATS get up. For the video he decided to sport a pair of light up devil's horns we got at Frightmares at Lagoon (I told him he could have horns or cotton candy, he choose horns, I do NOT know how this is my kid, well except for the fondness for musicals), because they look like "jellicle cat ears". The video of 5 year old Jake in his leotard, tights, furry socks (on arms and legs) with devil ears performing Jellicle Cats, Jennie Anydots, and Rum Tum Tugger (complete with hip thrusts, his own special version of the lyrics, and pretending he's also the girl cats screaming for him in the background) will be a popular addition to all his teen parties. I see there is an "add video" button here, maybe I will try to add this later tonight to my blog. Bribery has worked out really well for me as a parenting technique, but I'm not eliminating black mail for the future.
Busy week this week, SEP conference Tuesday, I'm doing my first Friday in Jake's class for "trades", and then this weekend is girls weekend (that will be fun, I'm trying not to feel guilty for leaving Jake). We're also counting down the days until our Disneyland Trip, Christmas, and of course Jake's birthday, can't believe how quickly things are going, it's Thanksgiving in 2 weeks!!!
3 comments:
Okay, you'll have to figure out how to load the video of Jake and his Cats costume. Either that or he has to wear it at the next family party. It sounds too fun to pass up. I'm also glad you are going on the girls wknd. I know you get time alone (well sort of) during the week at work, but you also need time for just you.
I'm laughing so hard at the Cats description. I have to see Jellicle Jake in his costume! I've heard the medley, but don't have the visual yet...except for the Indaina Jones whip down the pants. BTW, I told Jake he could go with us to the Spaghetti Factory, except that his mom would really miss him. Then followed an exhaustive dicsussion about what shape the mac n cheese might be. He was too worried to accept the invite, which was a relief, since you probably wouldn't want him heading in to SL at the same time you're heading home!
The only possibility for Armenian 우리카지노 gamers is to entry foreign-operated websites
Post a Comment