Tuesday, November 4, 2008

President Obama!!!

Just had to quickly post, as I've been so overwhelmed with feelings this last half hour.

Eight month before I was born 40 years ago Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated, 45 years ago an African American couldn't sit on a bus, or a restaurant, or stay at a hotel with a white person. I still remember being 12, and reading Roots and really understanding for the first time in my young life what slavery really was, and being heartbroken at a history that I had no reference to understand. Today I proudly cast my vote for the first African American running as President of the United States of America, I was overwhelmed and cried when I cast that vote, I cried all the way to work, and I've been sobbing for the last 45 minutes as this historical moment sinks in inch by inch.

Someone just said on the news that no child born after tonight will ever live in this country not believing that he (soon she I hope) can be President of this country, no matter what color their skin. My son will live in a country where the color of your skin has nothing to do with whether you can lead the greatest country in the world, it's never occurred to him that color makes any difference, we're proving in a major way that it doesn't, and may he never know any different.

I wish President Obama's grandmother had lived to see this moment, but I'm sure she is rejoicing today, and I bet Martin Luther King Jr. and thousands of slaves that died without freedom, are standing by her side.

What an historic moment!!! (Plus the first Michelle in the white house, how awesome is that?)

Now I'm going to watch our new President give his victory speech.

1 comment:

Circe said...

I'm all choked up. What a great post. It is so profoundly comforting that our children can grow up in a world where to judge a person by the color of their skin would be ridiculous. My heart is so much more full than I thought it would be. You expressed my emotions very well. It's a new day.