So i need to get a new job, so I can you know feed us, shelter us, and all those good things. That said I'm truly enjoying this little taste of something I haven't been able to do before. One of those things is that I can (if I feel like it) schedule in blog posting everyday, instead of putting it on the calendar once a week. i also have the time to read other people's blogs, and really think about what they are saying.
My SIL Jennie posted today about being a "fun mom", and what that means. I think we tend to get in a rut, and tend to forget that it's pretty easy to be fun, and kids are pretty easy to impress that way.
There are so many serious and painful things in this world and hard things in everyone's life that we tend to get caught up in that day to day. I think it's a great idea to list some of your favorite, fun and simple ideas that you can do in a moment.
Some of ours:
Duets in the car, turn it up, and sing as loud as you can.
Runny out of the kitchen and doing the weirdest dance you can pull off. Jake rolls his eyes but he loves it.
Grab a child, and do a quick waltz around the room, then drop them off and pretend nothing happened.
Dance in the rain, during the summer I grab Jakes hand and we ran outside and just danced with each other, it's still one of the things Jake talks about over and over.
Learn a new joke to tell on the way home from school or in the car, I find an occasional fart joke surprises and delights 8 year old boys.
Stop what you are doing and get down and play, it doesn't have to be for long, and it's fun when the kids don't know you are doing it.
Turn off all distractions and sit down and just talk, I'm always amazed at how much we laugh, and how much I learn when we do this.
Eat dinner as a picnic on a blanket in the front room.
Learn together, the great thing about being the mom instead of the teacher is that the teacher can do all the boring tedious stuff at school, one homework is done, then you get the chance to go learn about whatever suits your fancy.
Run into the room where a child is hanging out and tell them you can't live one more moment without a bunch of hugs, the look on their face is generally priceless.
Spontaneously skip while walking with them, this is fun on two levels, you will embarass your child which will entertain you, and they will think of you on a whole new level.
Learn more about something your child is really excited about but you wouldn't normally pay much attention to.
Teach them about something you are passionate about.
Watch old movies the you loved as a kid.
Make up stories to tell each other.
Read to each other in your silliest voice.
Start a belly laugh (place your head on their stomach and then just start laughing, it's contagious).
Do a puzzle.
There are so many ways to incorporate something fun into everyday, and it's not hard nor does it take a lot of planning.
Love to hear some ideas from other people, on easy simple ways to encorporate fun into everyday, because I know I definitely need it, or I tend to start taking myself way to seriously, and that is NOT a good thing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Such good ideas! And they don't make messes or take time! I can't think of anything specific that I do like that, but I do have a policy of saying yes to painting and generally being creative. I also try to invest some time Saturday afternoon for some serious creative stuff without time constraints. And since there are so many things we "have" to do, like practicing, reading, homework, housework, food prep, and driving places, I really try to keep my spirit light, engaged and proactive about talking and learning together during "life." That way, there is a sense of excitement to the mundane things. Not being so grim is a choice that moms forget they have! It IS fun...and it can be fun, even if there are clouds looming. Kids don't need to see the clouds.
I'm not sure if we have certain things we do. Usually it is something that happens spur of the moment. For ex: the kid want to go down to the pool. (I'm not a fan of swimming personally.) But, when we don't have something that night, I'll say yes. To me, I'm being fun. :)
But... we also do other things like movie night. We love to have popcorn and watch the latest video. (Too expensive to take 6 people to the theater.)
Post a Comment