Friday, January 25, 2008

Dr. Google

So I’ve been very good about keeping up with what we are doing lately, but I’m feeling a bit of philosophical meandering coming on. Probably because it’s January, and well we have a lot of snow this year, and despite that fact that I think deer are great and cute; I can see them on the Animal Planet, and knowing they are roaming about isn’t helping me enjoy the winter (and the driving in the snow) at all.

So instead, I’m sitting at work googling harmless symptoms and turning them into major illnesses. Jake gets these weird bumps on his back, not really a rash, and you can’t even see them but they come and go all the time, and I can feel them when I give him his nightly back scratch. I’ve tried to get Rob to confirm the bumps, but he keeps saying if Jake has some weird skin disease he doesn’t want to touch it, but thanks anyway. I guess it’s kind of like the “ew I think this tastes bad, you taste it” thing. So I was googling “small bumps on back” because now that I have the internet, I seem to think that I can accurately diagnose most illnesses with my knowledge of search engines as opposed to an actual medical degree. I somehow ended up looking at pictures of people with flesh eating bacteria, and really DON’T DO IT. I will freak you right out, and um it’s really pretty easy to get. Did you know it’s caused by a simple strep virus gone crazy? That people can be carrying this virus and not even be sick, and not even know it, but something as simple as a pin prick can give you flesh eating bacteria? I’m not a hypochondriac (in fact I’m the exact opposite, whatever “I avoid thinking about medical things generally and going to the doctor” is) and I’m certainly not a germaphobe (I will totally do the 5 second rule and eat chocolate off the floor, heck if it’s good chocolate I might even follow the 5 hour rule), but I totally did NOT need to know that.

I bet doctors totally hate the internet, because I’m guessing I’m not the only person that believes their ability to type key words into a search engine makes them a medical genius. Any weird little symptom, esp. any symptom Jake has? Well I’m googling it pretty much immediately. A couple years ago I had myself convinced that Jake’s bad case of the oral herpes virus (cold sores) was leukemia. Like convinced enough that I made DH take us to KidCare immediately and I was in tears the entire way.

Frontline has a special this week on what kids are doing on-line, and it’s pretty staggering how unaware many parents are of what their kids are doing, and it’s not medical research. We haven’t really had to cross that bridge yet really, it’s not too hard to protect a 5 year old that is only interested in playing Disney Playhouse and Nick Jr. but even at that, he’s saavy enough on the computer he could see some things pretty quickly that I don’t want him to see, and most of them have nothing to do with flesh eating bacteria.

I was involved in a discussion recently with some people on whether parenting is harder today than it was in the past. I don’t think it is, I think parenting has always been challenging, for example in the past most people almost counted on loosing one or more of their children before they became adults, which I can’t even imagine dealing with (let alone dealing with giving birth in some of the circumstances women gave birth in). Parenting today does present some unique challenges that our parents just didn’t have to deal with, and the pervasive media is a big one. I worry about that, because I’m fairly saavy with a computer, but I’m really not that “plugged in” to technology, it’s just not my thing really. I find the constant need to photograph and communicate everything all the time to be invasive to just living, like we are living our own lives as our own personal paparazzi, and yes, I completely get the irony of writing this sentence in my blog. It’s the reason I was reluctant to start a blog at all, because I don’t want to be conscious of how I’m presenting my life for public consumption (which comes with the assumption that I have a “public” that even cares). I don’t want my life to become a series of bloggable moments, or photo shoots, and it can quickly get there. I like that internalized “remembering” that becomes a bit dull around the edges with time, because things become softer, and infused with more emotion, when they aren’t just there in black and white. I don’t need 8,000 songs available to me at any second, I don’t want to see the weird outfit the girl in front of you at the grocery store has on, and I certainly don’t need to overhear intimate details of people’s lives as they talk in public on phones as if it’s private space, heck I don’t even need the 50+ T.V. channels I have. (Holy cow, I’m getting old!!!)

Yet I can’t get out of this world that we live it, it is what it is, and I can’t pretend it’s going to go away. Heck considering the difference in the last decade (remember those big bulky “car phones in the “90’s”?) I have no idea what new and improved scary things we may even be dealing with in 5-10 years. It’s really hard to find the right line between overprotecting your kids, and letting them have too much freedom. I’m not even sure there is a “right” line, just seems there are an awful lot of wrong ones. I have no idea what the answer is, and other than “no private computers in our house that connect to the internet”, I need to come up with some lines soon.

I will say, if I were you, I would totally draw my personal line at googling flesh eating bacteria and elephantitis, trust me on this…

5 comments:

Jenny said...

Thought provoking to say the least! Never heard of the flesh eating stuff, don't want to experience the old time stuff, and can't imagine what things we'll have to protect our kids from in the future.

I find it all a bit too overwhelming so I choose to deal with those things as they come. I don't know about the rest of you! ;)

Circe said...

As usual, LOVED your post. You're always so acurate and humorously ironic in your observations. You must be a persuasive arguer, because I always find myself wholeheartedly agreeing with everything you say! I wish you had more answers on this one, because I certainly don't. My only strategy is keeping my kids busy and engaged in the real world so they don't have time for the cyber one. I just never realized we WOULDN'T have all the answers when we grew up! Darn!

Jenny said...

I have been thinking about your post since yesterday and just for the sake of argument (I love a good healthy argument) I think it is wonderful to look at life as little bloggable moments while taking pics along the way. I think it helps us stop and see those wonderful parts of life that we might otherwise miss while being on autopilot! If we just plan on leaving them to memory we may forget to stop and notice those precious moments along the way!

Michelle said...

Jen, I don't think it's the recording of moments that bothers me, because keeping a journal is something that the church has been commanding us to do for years.

It's the "public" nature of it, that for me is the problem, because (at least for me), I'm not sure with knowing the people are reading what I write, that what I capture in a blog is as valuable as what I might write in a journal (and there is no way I'm doing both, and I admit this is easier).

I love reading old journals where people are very real, and not perfect. It's easy to write that kind of stuff in a journal because well I'll be dead when people are reading it. It's harder to be that vulnerable in a blog, where I know that people are reading, and judging (not in a "bad" way we all do that, all the time).

Either way though our memories those things that we truly internalize, are the things that truly become part of us, and what we keep for eternity. I was thinking of this going through those pictures Dad had from Grandma's attic. It was great seeing people we knew, but most us pretty much ignored the pictures if we didn't know them, or couldn't connect the pictures with someone "real". It was just quickly passing a bunch of pictures of people we don't know around the table. As precious as my pictures are, they are just snap-shots of a moment and will someday be "a scrapbook of pictures of people we don't know".

I don't know, I'm just not comfortable yet with where we are drawing the public/private line. I hate to see people that are so busy on their cell phones that they aren't interacting with the human being right in front of them. I can't tell how many times I've seen people rudely ignoring the cashier at the store that is helping them (and held up the line) because they are busy talking on their phone. Or the number of accidents (another 20/20 type thing I watched) caused by people texting while driving. I'm not sure I like the fact that we are putting our personal business all over the internet, while at the same time using technology to shut out basic human interaction on a day to day basis. It feels out of balance to me.

Which probably means I'm just getting old. :)

Jenny said...

Michelle,
I agree that we have gotten a bit impersonal. I hate the cell phone thing at the store or other places where people just assume it's ok not to give someone their attention just because they are on the phone. As if that makes it ok. I just wanted you to know that your bog was thought provoking (as it usually is) and it got my mind going.