
(I wrote a couple posts the last couple of nights, but they take forever to load at home for some reason so I emailed them to myself to post from work).
So this is from Wednesday January 9, 2008:
Remember “Snow Days” as a kid? Waking up to a couple feet of snow listening to the radio for them to announce that schools were closed, and then having a whole unexpected day off in front of you, and all that nice fluffy snow that you didn’t have to shovel or drive in because, hey you were a kid. I swear to this day, that though rare (there really has to be like 5 feet of snow in 2 hours to close schools in Utah), snow days were the best days ever.
As a grown-up, snow days have some caveats but they are still pretty darn good, and if you are lucky, and have a job where you get a few “personal days” off, you don’t even have to listen to the radio to have a snow day. I actually have been battling a cold/sinus infection thingy the last week, so on Wednesday I did a combined “call in sick/snow day” thing. Everything was pretty white at our house. When Jake and I finally dragged ourselves out of bed at 8:30 (I got up at 7:00 to let them know I wasn’t coming to work, and then back to bed), Rob had already been out shoveling for an hour to get the driveway decent to take Jake to school. Ended up that 2 teachers and all but 3 of the kids were having their own snow day, but Jake had a blast as Ms. Carrie let them play in the snow most of the morning. It was still snowing when I finally crawled out of bed (I went back to bed after Jake went to school), checked my e-mail (so I could get a little work done on my unexpected day off), and had a shower. I had to run out to get something for my sinus infection, and run to the grocery store before we got completely snowed in (exaggerating a bit, but we got a lot of snow), because I wanted to try a new recipe from my Rachel Ray book while I was home. I didn’t have any cilantro, jalapenos, or ginger at home although remarkably considering it was a curry recipe, I had everything else already in my pantry. Oh, and I also picked up our last few things of “Christmas Milk” (eggnog) before it’s gone for this year. I think Jake has actually gained 3 pounds just from the eggnog he’s had this year (which looks good on him, he can get a bit skinny sometimes, he’s actually grown 2 ½ inches since September, so he looks good with a little meat on him).
We had a fabulous snow day, Rob came home and went out back to build Jake an igloo to play in, and once Jake got warmed up (and had some lunch and a rest) he was out helping daddy, and pretty excited about his igloo. I took some pictures of daddy and Jake playing in the snow, but need to plug in the camera and upload them, so I can post them. While the boys played outside in the snow, I made us some lunch. I figured that some good hot spicy curry was a good thing to serve on our impromptu snow day. Big thumbs up for the first recipe I tried in the RR “No Repeats” book: Green Chicken Curry with Coconut Jasmine Rice. I know Rachel Ray bugs a lot of people (she’s a bit perky for me too) but I really like that she puts together a lot of ingredients that I would never dream of putting together, in a way that’s easy for the home cook (at least I think it is). While I really think she stretches that “30 minute” thing (um sure it only takes 30 minutes when you have someone cutting everything up for you, and/or you are really quick with a knife), I can actually do most of her recipes start to finish in 45-50 minutes, which I don’t mind at all. For today’s meal I made homemade Naan (my favorite part of Indian food), which needs to rise an hour, so I made that first, got the curry done in 50 minutes, and the Naan was ready to cook right when I needed it.
As Rachel would say “yummo”, definitely a recipe that will find a place on the permanent rotation, and you can really adjust the heat by the amount of hot sauce you add, and how you prepare the jalapenos. I made ours mild (cut out ALL the jalapeno seeds before I sliced them, and only a couple drops hot sauce) and then Rob and I each adjusted to how we like them. Jakey just got “curry Jakey style” which means plain old diced chicken with catsup.
After a big lunch, we all had a rest time, and then it was time for swimming lessons (we went by the house with the big Shrek snow sculpture in Layton as well), then we headed home and watched “Evita”. Although apparently we have to watch it again because Jake fell asleep before they sang “Don’t Cry for Me Argentina” and that was what he was waiting for.
All and all a great snow day for the Cranes.
So this is from Wednesday January 9, 2008:
Remember “Snow Days” as a kid? Waking up to a couple feet of snow listening to the radio for them to announce that schools were closed, and then having a whole unexpected day off in front of you, and all that nice fluffy snow that you didn’t have to shovel or drive in because, hey you were a kid. I swear to this day, that though rare (there really has to be like 5 feet of snow in 2 hours to close schools in Utah), snow days were the best days ever.
As a grown-up, snow days have some caveats but they are still pretty darn good, and if you are lucky, and have a job where you get a few “personal days” off, you don’t even have to listen to the radio to have a snow day. I actually have been battling a cold/sinus infection thingy the last week, so on Wednesday I did a combined “call in sick/snow day” thing. Everything was pretty white at our house. When Jake and I finally dragged ourselves out of bed at 8:30 (I got up at 7:00 to let them know I wasn’t coming to work, and then back to bed), Rob had already been out shoveling for an hour to get the driveway decent to take Jake to school. Ended up that 2 teachers and all but 3 of the kids were having their own snow day, but Jake had a blast as Ms. Carrie let them play in the snow most of the morning. It was still snowing when I finally crawled out of bed (I went back to bed after Jake went to school), checked my e-mail (so I could get a little work done on my unexpected day off), and had a shower. I had to run out to get something for my sinus infection, and run to the grocery store before we got completely snowed in (exaggerating a bit, but we got a lot of snow), because I wanted to try a new recipe from my Rachel Ray book while I was home. I didn’t have any cilantro, jalapenos, or ginger at home although remarkably considering it was a curry recipe, I had everything else already in my pantry. Oh, and I also picked up our last few things of “Christmas Milk” (eggnog) before it’s gone for this year. I think Jake has actually gained 3 pounds just from the eggnog he’s had this year (which looks good on him, he can get a bit skinny sometimes, he’s actually grown 2 ½ inches since September, so he looks good with a little meat on him).
We had a fabulous snow day, Rob came home and went out back to build Jake an igloo to play in, and once Jake got warmed up (and had some lunch and a rest) he was out helping daddy, and pretty excited about his igloo. I took some pictures of daddy and Jake playing in the snow, but need to plug in the camera and upload them, so I can post them. While the boys played outside in the snow, I made us some lunch. I figured that some good hot spicy curry was a good thing to serve on our impromptu snow day. Big thumbs up for the first recipe I tried in the RR “No Repeats” book: Green Chicken Curry with Coconut Jasmine Rice. I know Rachel Ray bugs a lot of people (she’s a bit perky for me too) but I really like that she puts together a lot of ingredients that I would never dream of putting together, in a way that’s easy for the home cook (at least I think it is). While I really think she stretches that “30 minute” thing (um sure it only takes 30 minutes when you have someone cutting everything up for you, and/or you are really quick with a knife), I can actually do most of her recipes start to finish in 45-50 minutes, which I don’t mind at all. For today’s meal I made homemade Naan (my favorite part of Indian food), which needs to rise an hour, so I made that first, got the curry done in 50 minutes, and the Naan was ready to cook right when I needed it.
As Rachel would say “yummo”, definitely a recipe that will find a place on the permanent rotation, and you can really adjust the heat by the amount of hot sauce you add, and how you prepare the jalapenos. I made ours mild (cut out ALL the jalapeno seeds before I sliced them, and only a couple drops hot sauce) and then Rob and I each adjusted to how we like them. Jakey just got “curry Jakey style” which means plain old diced chicken with catsup.
After a big lunch, we all had a rest time, and then it was time for swimming lessons (we went by the house with the big Shrek snow sculpture in Layton as well), then we headed home and watched “Evita”. Although apparently we have to watch it again because Jake fell asleep before they sang “Don’t Cry for Me Argentina” and that was what he was waiting for.
All and all a great snow day for the Cranes.
1 comment:
I love that Jake loves Evita... that is awesome. I can just picture his animated face singing his heart out. Cute!
Post a Comment