Friday, January 18, 2008

Ooops...

I wrote a blog entry on Tuesday but apparently I just saved it, and never actually posted it, so here it is:

I suppose it’s time to update my blog again, I’m finding that I kind of like keeping this as a journal of activities much more than I had anticipated, so it’s a bit hard to only update once a week, without all my entries being way too long.

We’ve had a very busy few days at the Crane house. Friday mom and dad had a chance to go to Wendover for the night, so we spent Friday and Saturday at mom and dad’s. Rob took Jake to pre-school, picked him up, dropped him off at a play date, then went up to make Grandma Great lunch, pick up Jake, went back to mom and dad’s, took Jake to swimming, and was pretty tired of running around by the time I got home Friday night about 6:30. By the time I got to mom & dad’s Grandma was asleep, and we watched a few movies and then turned in for the night.

Rob was up bright and early Saturday morning so he could head home to make sure the house was straightened and throw in a few loads of wash before catching his plane to Reno (I really do have the best husband on the planet). He left for the airport about 9:00 and his plane left at 11:00, and he arrived in Reno about 12:00 our time (but about the same time he left Reno time). He picked up the rental car, checked into the hotel, and then went to see Camille and Josh. They ended up deciding that they would prefer some home cooking instead of going out, and Rob was at the Residence Inn (which has some cooking facilities in the room), so they went out and got all the makings of a spaghetti and meatballs, and Rob taught the kids how to make his grandma’s meatballs, and spaghetti sauce from scratch. Must have been good (Rob make killer spaghetti and meatballs) because Josh sent an e-mail the next day asking for the recipe. After dinner they all headed to a movie. Rob had a really nice trip, and we’re excited to see Josh again when he comes to stay with us for a few days at the end of the month. Jake is really excited to have his older brother stay with us.

Meanwhile back in Utah, Jake and I got up and made us all breakfast and then we decided to stay in our P.J.’s for awhile, and curl up in the bed and watch Annie. Jake loved the play when his cousins were in it this summer, but he’s wanted to see the movie, and Grandma and Grandpa had it. After the movie, we headed out to go get a few things to give Grandma Great a little birthday party, as January 12 was her 89th birthday. Jake (who has now become the gift giving expert in the family) knew just what to get Grandma Great, he said “mom we need to get her some books because all she does is read books anyway”. So we got her a couple books, a Happy Birthday balloon (Jake’s idea of course) and went to Parson’s and picked her up a cake. When we got back I fixed a quick dinner, and we sang Happy Birthday and had a little party. Jake also had to give a talk in Primary on Sunday, and he wanted to tell the story of David and Goliath (big surprise he LOVES the story of David and Goliath), so we picked up some flannel board pictures and practiced his talk. Soon after mom and dad got home from their trip and Jakey and I headed home for the evening. Jake was so tired but he kept saying “I’m trying to stay awake”, finally at about 9:00 I asked him why he was trying to stay awake, and he told me “I didn’t give daddy a kiss yet”. I hadn’t realized he thought daddy was coming home the same day, and he was a bit alarmed to learn that daddy was actually going to sleep in Reno, instead of coming home, but we got that all straightened out, and we were off to bed,

Sunday we were up bright an early for church, we’re still getting used to the early schedule, although our “no T.V. before church” rule isn’t nearly as hard to follow when we go to church at 9:00. Jake decided after all the practice Saturday that “big boys” in church DO NOT give talks with flannel boards and pictures, apparently that is just for “little boys”. Now he’s 5, he needed to give his talk with “just his scriptures and no help from mommy”. Mommy sure wished she was aware of this rule before we bought the whole story to flannel board, but I’m flexible, I can adjust. So Jake went into Primary with nothing but his scriptures. When it was his turn to give his talk he stood up, spent a few minutes turning to the “right” page (I’m not sure what he was turning to, because 1- He has no idea exactly where in the scriptures the story of David and Goliath is and 2- Um he can’t read), and then proceeded to tell the story of David and Goliath. I was especially amused that he said that David turned down the armor from King Saul, and got some stones and prayed, and then he swung his “swingy thing” around and “whacked” Goliath. Apparently Jake has been hanging out with the Sopranos without our knowledge. He did a great job doing his “big boy” talk although he got a bit scared at the end and mommy had to go help him wrap it up. He told me after church that “even big boy need their moms sometimes”, and indeed they do.

After church Jakey and I had lunch, and then curled up on the couch for a little Sunday afternoon nap. Daddy got home at about 3:00, and we heard about his trip to Reno, and then at 5:30, Jake and I headed over to my friend Wendy’s for dinner. Daddy was tired from his trip, and decided to stay home, and Wendy had forgotten she had invited us, so we were a bit of a surprise at her door at 5:30, but we had some dinner with them, and Jake got to play with Wendy’s 3 boys, and we had a nice visit. In fact Jake and Adam (Wendy’s little guy that is the same age as Jake) were having so much fun the we ended up staying until 9:00 a letting the little boys stay up a bit past their bedtimes.

Monday was back to the old grind, I came back to work, Jake had pre-school, played with Freestone, and had swimming lessons. And daddy did some housework, and finished up the spot work on the floor boards in the guest room. Monday night for family night we went with our friends Scott and April to see “Forever Plaid” at the Community Theater in Washington Terrace. It was fun, we hadn’t ever seen the show before, and once again Jake kept all entertained by being thoroughly engaged in the action on stage. In fact he got the biggest laugh of the night, when the guys came out in their Scottish plaid and Jake yelled out “what are they wearing those outfits for”. Jake also noticed that they are doing “Sound of Music” and “Scrooge” (next Christmas) and has already made us promise to get tickets.

Nothing really exciting planned for the rest of the week, although tonight I’m going to try my next new recipe from the Rachel Ray book for those that are keeping track. We’re going to do a balsamic glaze pork loin chops, and I even splurged and stopped at Granato’s for a bottle of the good balsamic vinegar. You know you have an exciting life when trying new recipes for dinner is the highlight of the week. (P.S. it's Friday and the pork chops were fabulous, I still need to get the knack of cooking a sauce down to a glaze, but the flavor was really good :) ).

Let’s see I think I promised to discuss the meaning behind “Me and Julio Down By the Schoolyard”, but honestly I had no idea what me and Julio saw (or what that song is about, and I googled it, apparently neither does Paul Simon), but considering how alarmed everyone was about it, it couldn’t have been good. So my suggestion is that if you are hanging out with Julio, just stay away from the schoolyard.

3 comments:

Jennie said...

We're glad Rob's trip went well and we need your recipe for the Pork Chops. You'll have to post it on the blog when you have time. I tried Honey Lime Pork Chops this week and they were also very good. I just need to get the knack of cooking the chops. :) I had fairly thick chops and because my stove is so freakin' awesome - not - it was hard to cook them long enough with out burning them. They were on low almost the whole time.

Circe said...

The Davis and Goliath story is a classic! Not the Bible version...the Jake version. :) I can just see him "turning to the right page." I wish you had that on video! We would love to have you over when Josh comes to town, and get to know him a little bit better. that will be fun for Jake.

Jenny said...

I am glad to see that Jake has graduated to a big boy talk. Those talks in primary are such a right of passage for them!