


It's another snow day today, I woke up this morning to quite a bit of snow, and it's still coming down now. I went ahead and sent an e-mai that I would work from home today.
We had another great weekend as well. Saturday, Rob got up early to go on a hike. As I've said before he loves to hike in the snow and we got just enough to make it a nice snow hiking day. I sat down and got everything organized so I could go grocery shopping. With all of the holidays and everything going on we've kind of got out of the habit of following a meal list, so I sat down and did one again. Rob is a great cook as long as he has a recipe, he finds it hard to look at all the ingredients seperately in the cupboard and figure out what to make. So I generally go through our recipe books once or twice a month (depends on how ambitious I am) and I write down the recipe name and page number of different things to make for dinner. Then I go through and write down any ingredients we don't already have for my shopping list. The list of recipes goes on the refrigerator, and then we have everything available so Rob can pick and choose things to cook from the list.
We went grocery shopping, and then headed home, Rob still wasn't back from his hike but got home about 15 minutes after we did. I put away the groceries, and then got things together to make lunch. Another RR recipe from the new book (actually I did all the recipes from the new book for the next few weeks, after all it's suppose to be a years worth of meals), today was Oregon style pork chops with leeks, and dried cranberries. As a side dish we had a "hash" made with kale, mushrooms, hazelnuts, beets, and bleu cheese, and served with multi-grain bread. It was very good. After lunch/dinner (we ate about 3:30, so kind of straddling lunch and dinner), Rob went and rented a movie, and did the dishes (I love that I can cook and Rob ususally does the dishes afterwards, that arrangement works just great for me) Jake played with Shyanna, and I made some pecan sticky buns to take for Sunday School class.
Sunday morning was church again, and Rob taught our class this week. It went very well, and I think they liked the sticky buns, as usual they ate them all. We headed home and Rob had an appointment with the bishop about a half hour after church, and I started making cakes for the family January birthday party. Made a strawberry cake (just a jello poke cake) with whipped cream icing and Nerds sprinkled on it, and one of Aunt Ann's chocolate cakes (my all time favorite cake). Then we headed up to Circe and Scotts to celebrate, Lexie, Ruby, Grandma Great, and my birthdays. We had a great night, kids were playing, ladies were talking and the guys were watching football. Rob even went in and pretended that he cared about the football game for a few minutes. Then we opened presents, and I got some Bath & Body works stuff from Scott and Circe, and some money, and then one of the best gifts ever. We have been asking mom for years to write down all of her recipes for us, well Nikki and Mom got together and scanned all of mom's favorite recipes as well as some pictures of us celebrating happy moments through the years, and complied them into a book called "Grandma's Treats". It is so cool, because it has all the recipes in their original form, many in mom's hand writing, and one (Grandma Hill's Fruitcake recipe) in Grandma's writing. I have now officially cried over a cook books, but it is just so cool. I finally have all of mom's recipes in one places, and the pictures bring back great memories. There is even a picture of mom and me with mom holding one of the show man sugar cookies I mentioned a few posts ago. Thanks mom and Nikki, I will cherish this book always, I'm getting tears now, just thinking about it.
When we got ready to leave Freestone got his sleeping bag, and pillow out, and said he would be waiting out in the car because he was coming home with us, for his first sleepover. At first we just laughed but after looking at Free and Jake's hopeful little faces, we figured why not, and told them they could have a sleep over. They were so excited, when we got outside (which they rushed to do afraid I think that we were going to change our minds) Jake looked at Freestone and said "let's do the happy dance" (we've seen "Evan Almighty" quite a few times at our house), and they danced their way to the car. All the way home they planned all the exciting things they were going to do for their first sleepover including playing superheroes, playing in Jake's room, watching a movie, and staying up as late as the grown-ups. They ran into the house to start their fun, and I sat up their sleeping bags, and pillows in the living room. They did all the things they talked about, and we told them that we would all go to bed at 10:00. Rob and I went to bed and I could hear the boys laying on the living room floor, giggling and talking, just like I used to do with all the sleep overs with my cousins. I got up about 3:00 to check on them, and I found them on the floor, right next to each other, sleeping on the same pillow with their arms draped across each others shoulder. If I hadn't been afraid of waking them up I would have taken a picture, but I posted a few I did take.
They both slept until 7:30 which was pretty good, and then we got up to play Moon Sand, had some waffles and yogurts for breakfast, played more super heros (we made capes out of plastic grocery bags and flew off the couch onto the sleeping bags), and then got dressed and headed back up to Scott and Circe's to meet Colin and Jackson, and continue the fun.
They were both so cute last night, so it looks like their sleep-over was a huge success, as a matter of fact, they're already planning their second.
Now I just wrapped up doing some work, and made another RR recipe of Butternut Squash Mac&Cheese for lunch. Seemed like the perfect comfort food for a cold winter day, and with the squash you can almost convince yourself it's healthy. Rob went to have a rest (he's already shoveled 3 times this morning). Jennie dropped off Jake but he wasn't in the house for 5 minutes when he was back outside to play with Shyanna, and I'm going to finish up the stuff I was working on, and then go look at my new cookbook again. It's a good day to do some baking!
I'm thinking brown sugar muffins...
2 comments:
I am so glad you liked your cookbook. I know Mom really wanted us all to have a copy of her recipies so I thought this would be a good way to do it. I also loved looking at old pictures and remembering cooking with Mom. Happy Birthday. I can't wait until Cade is older and he can join in on the big kid fun.
I think Cade is almost big enough...get ready! :)
Freestone said he stayed up so late, he stayed up for 44 days. He told me he went to bed at the same time as Uncle Wobert and Aunt AndMichelle. (Rob and Michelle?) I wonder if he really thinks your name is AndMichelle! Thanks so much for the sleepover. Free was pretty tired tonight. He said, "You don't know how lazy I am! I didn't get any sleep tonight!" You guys are good sports! It would have been sad to squelch the fun by saying no! Your mom's cookbook was so neat. Nikki, do sisters-in-law get one?:) That was a great gift.
Post a Comment